9.6.11

if you think it's tough, you don't want it enough

so, it's been some time since my last post... in the meantime I have finished uni, flown back and forth between london and home many times, and as of last week - started at my first proper job. anyway, if you've been following this blog for a while, you're probably used to my erratic ways of posting ;)

some of the things I've been enjoying lately:
  • the most beautiful book (because it's so much more than a cookbook) I've discovered in a long time: rose petal jam by beata zatorska & simon target. at first I was quite hestitant about sharing this here - it's the kind of feeling you have when you discover some obscure band and you just want to keep it to yourself. but here goes... it's basically a book I've been dreaming of writing for years. a nostalgic memoir of childhood summer days in Poland, where recipes, stories, poems and absolutely fantastic photographs come together in a collage of sorts. I see it first and foremost as a long-overdue tribute to the extraordinary country that Poland is. and as if by an almost improbable coincidence, it turned out that the author hails from my hometown. seeing my high school in one of the photos was just an overkill...

  •  by now some of you might be aware of my borderline fanatical infatuation with all things scandinavian. these past few weeks I've been immersed in the millenium trilogy (books and films. and while we're on the subject - those movies so did not have to be remade... as much as they lacked in terms of characted/plot development, the idea of daniel craig as mikael blomqvist makes me cringe and that's just the top of the iceberg), wallander series (books and films - the swedish version) and lately - the varg veum films based on books by gunnar staalesen. perfect in every way.



  • game of thrones. words cannot convey my feelings for it (and sean bean).

and for now, gorgeous bergen in all shades of grey. inspired by the varg veum films, where this amazing city is shown in such a beautiful way. the first five photos are from the lovely hei astrid blog - check it out to discover that it doesn't always rain in bergen... (although a search on flickr for rainy bergen yields three times as many results as the one for sunny bergen).




song for a rainy day? it's over - sondre lerche (from norway. obviously.)

17 comments:

  1. For me Game of Thrones is just pure perfection :) I enjoy every moment of it. And the "Rose petal jam" book seems to be amazing, judging from what you and some other bloggers write, not to mention the brief inside look given by the Amazon. I'm planning to buy it as a present for my friends living abroad. And, finally :), Hei Astrid blog is just wonderful! Thanks for recommending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen The Killing (Forbrydelsen)? The most perfect slice of Scandi genius:-)
    My review of Nordic Bakery, in which I also write about the current wave of Scandi - mania sweeping the UK will be published this afternoon, I hope.
    Thanks for the book recommendation, I will definitely get it, it sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your photos!! It's over - Sondre lerche is soooo nice! Thanks for sharing it. Your blog is amazing. Thank you for the book recommendation too!

    xo

    www.thebrunetteshake.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why they are remaking the millennium trilogy. It's sad although I will admit that the Karen O/Trent Reznor cover of Immigrant Song in the trailer is pretty wonderful.

    I agree with Anna Maria - The Killing (Forbrydelsen) is wonderful and a must see!

    Hope you are enjoying your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Solemn yet beautiful. :)


    I realized the Scandinavian love. ;)

    And yeah havent watched Game of Thrones. Last HBO show I watched was ROME and that was something else....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, I love living in Bergen<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hillary, isn't he? That book very special and really worth getting your hands on xx

    Noodles and Waffles, thank you! The job has its moments, although I'm still trying to adjust to getting up early. Still, beats going to uni imo...

    Kacrates, when I hear Rome all I can see is Titus Pullo ;))

    Vilde Marie, so envious of you right now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bergen is my hometown! The rain is part of the charme. Soo in love with my city :) And by the way - Sondre Lerche is from Bergen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you! and I didn't even know that, nice coincidence ;))

    ReplyDelete
  10. podpisuje sie pod każdym słowem o fascynacji skandynawią. przez książki przeszłam w poprzednie wakacje, teraz szukam tych o walanderze, dobrze ze jest ich duzo. czuje milosc do kazdego slowa opisujacego zycie na polnocy, jakieby ono nie bylo.

    pozdrowienia dla Ciebie, osobo co do której mam wrażenie żeś ciekawa i miła do poznania:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome pictures! I want to jump into them and live there! :)

    http://sweetandsassy-sherry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, what a beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a beautiful pictures...
    it would be nice to be living in this peaceful and wonderful place..


    _____________
    The flip flop

    ReplyDelete
  14. banalnie ujmując:piękne zdjęcia,a muzyka - meeega!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been to Norway despite living in Sweden for 19 years. I seriously need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miłość do Skandynawii, fascynacja Grą o Tron i wiele innych zbieznych punktów widze :) Coś mi się wydaje, że na żywo miałybysmy masę tematów do rozmów :)

    ReplyDelete